Yes I made some flatbread.
Or attempted to anyway.
I was watching a YouTube vlog and the vloggers mentioned that they made Jamie Oliver’s two ingredient flatbread recipe. Up until that moment I had not given flatbreads any thought, matter of fact I did not even know exactly what flatbread was. I knew tortilla, chapati, roti, naan etc and I though flatbread was just another type of this. Turns out flat bread is quite simply bread that is flat from tortilla to chapati.
Back to Jamie Oliver, I had never considered flatbread but upon hearing that it only required two ingredients-flour and yoghurt-I suddenly felt the need to make this easy bread. I found the recipe on his website-it’s actually three ingredients, the third being baking powder. Still it seemed easy enough so I decided to make it. Of course being an indecisive queen I looked up multiple flatbread recipes and they all seem easy-flour, oil, salt and water, baking powder in some of them. After dillydallying for a while I decided to just make the yogurt recipe, considering I bought yoghurt specifically for this.
I got the yoghurt, self raising flour and baking powder and set to work.
This recipe is theoretically so simple: mix equal parts flour and yogurt plus a teaspoon of baking powder. That’s it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Simple pimple. However I found a way to mess it up.
The trouble started with my lack of measuring cups or any baking equipment really. I thought I could get around it by choosing a random cup and simply putting the same amount of flour and yoghurt so I found a random item in the house and used it.
I measured out the flour with no issues and then attempted to do the same with the yogurt. It dawned on me then that flour and yogurt have different weights so a cup of flour may not weigh the same as a cup of yogurt. See all the money spent on my education was not in vain (or was it? *dramatic music* Stay tuned). Anyway I decided to do it by eye and kept adding yogurt until I ended up with a mixture that was more batter than dough. The problem is that I could not find a recipe that included pictures or descriptions of what the dough should look like so I was in the dark.
The recipe called for light kneading so I knew the consistency was off. No way was I kneading this mixture. I knew I would have to add a whole lot more flour to change this but first I decided to fry this mixture to see the outcome.
The outcome was delicious. I like my pancakes thick and gooeey on the inside (I cannot articulate this) so I never fry them for too long.
Side note: The flour yogurt mixture smelled so good. This may be weird but it smelled like the Middle East….It instantly reminded me of the flatbread that accompanies the lamb barbeque or the Arabic bread that comes with our breakfast.
The flatbread pancake was quite good (it would have been even better with some honey/sugar) and I considered just abandoning the original project and going with this instead. But I am not a quitter plus I had some chicken stir fry and was hoping to use the flatbread as a tortilla. So I persevered. I added more and more flour until it resembled dough
Once I got it into that shape, I thought the battle was won but little did I know that there was sill a war ahead of me.
Even though there was a dough it was still sticky as hell (is hell sticky? Dunno never been). I kept adding more and more flour until I exhausted the self raising flour and switched over to plain flour. Right until the very end I was adding more flour. It was a complete mess, the kitchen looked like Pablo Escobar’s lab. Floooourrrrr everywhere! I was getting frustrated that this supposedly simple recipe had gone awry.
I managed to form four balls from the dough.
I flattened one of the doughballs with my hand- it seemed too delicate for a rolling pin.
The flattened dough seemed too small for the tortilla wrap vision I had in mind so I decided to join two balls together
I found it almost impossible to knead the dough and to roll out with a rolling pin as it kept sticking to it so I just did it mostly by hand. The stickiness never went away so I kept adding flour, which resulted in the final product being quite floury.
I oiled the pan a little (well it was oiled from the earlier pancake attempt) and put the flattened dough in it. Well darlings, it turned out a mess.
It got worse. Soon the cracks began to show.
The second one was just as bad.
Still, I persevered. I got them both on a plate.
Jamie Oliver’s recipe also includes an optional garlic herb butter which I decided to make. Jamie’s recipe calls for the butter to be melted in a pan and fresh herbs and blah blah. I melted the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds (for some reason it exploded 20 seconds in) and then added garlic and dried herbs. I used fresh garlic so that counts for something.
I don’t have a baking brush so I spooned the mixture on the bread. It smelled nice.
I made some chicken stir fry, and boiled corn to go with the meal. Unfortunately the bread was in no condition to be treated like tortilla. No way was I going to bend it into a wrap so I just ate it somehow.
All’s well that ends well. I had to admit defeat at some points during the process. This is the first semi failure since I began my culinary adventures but I ate it all so it’s not all bad. If I make this again, I will be sure to add only a little yogurt from the start. I will most likely make the pancake instead as that was rather yummy.
Well there you have it. Flatbread.